"Technology myths shattered: Privacy in the digital age"
An invited presentation to a Pacific meeting of the Global Privacy Enforcement Network (GPEN) 7 May 2014.
- The intersection between privacy and big data – is the law really so far behind?
- How can privacy enforcement staff better engage with IT to encourage proactive privacy compliance?
Data Privacy is ...
- Not a thing but a state
- More about what you don’t do
- Not much about security
- Not at all about secrecy (few really want anonymity)
- Never perfect
- At odds with many IT requirements
- Reducible in system design
- Alive and kicking.